Post Week 4 Coaches Hot Seat Rankings – 11 – 30 Hot Seat Coaches – It’s Never A Pleasant Sight To See Grown Man Crying….But Give These Head Coaches on the Hot Seat Hell Anyway Johnny Cash!
It’s Never A Pleasant Sight To See Grown Man Crying….But Give These Head Coaches on the Hot Seat Hell Anyway Johnny Cash!
11. Doug Martin, New Mexico State – The New Mexico State Lobos had a bye in Week 4 but nothing has changed in the Hot Seat world of Doug Martin who now sits on a win/loss record at NMSU of…
Overall: 4 – 23
….and a record of 0 – 3 in 2015 with these games still left to be played:
At New Mexico
At Ole Miss
At Georgia Southern
At Texas State
At La Lafayette
At La. Monroe
Damn….what will New Mexico State win…1…maybe 2 games in 2015?
No…these are not good times for NMSU Lobos football!
12. Willie Taggart, South Florida – Here’s the problem for USF head coach Willie Taggart:
After coaching 27 games at South Florida his record now stands at…
7 – 20
….and the man that got run out of Tampa as the last head coach at South Florida…Skip Holtz….had a record after 27 games at USF of…
15 – 12
…and in case anyone was wondering when your running record as a head coach is worse than the coach that got fired your ass is rightfully on the Hot Seat!
It’s past time for Willie Taggart to start winning some football games at South Florida starting with the home against a very hot Memphis team on Friday night.
We say it again…get off your ass already Willie Taggart!
13. Paul Petrino, Idaho – With the Idaho loss to Georgia Southern by the score of 44 – 20 and Paul Petrino’s win/loss record with the Vandals falling to…
3 – 24
…it really is only a matter of time before there is new head football coach leading the Vandals meaning probably in December unless of course Paul Petrino can turn things around this season which is still a possibility….right?
Uhh….Not Very Damn Likely!
Up next for Idaho….at Arkansas State!
Good Luck with that Paul Petrino!
14. Trent Miles, Georgia State – No doubt….Georgia State is a very tough head coaching job but it is our firm belief here at Coaches Hot Seat that a great football coach can win…
….and when you are the athletic director at a place like Georgia State you just can’t hire an average coach and expect that average coach to excel in a tough job like the one at Georgia State…..PERIOD.
Case in Point: Trent Miles came to Georgia State after coaching FIVE seasons at Indiana State where he posted an overall win/loss record of…
20 – 36!
Sorry….the head football coach at Georgia State MUST BE a head coach that has won BIG on what will probably be a level lower than FBS football and in case the folks at Georgia State don’t know it there are dozens of very Damn successful coaches on the FCS, Division II, and lower division football levels that would walk from where they are at now to be the head football coach at Georgia State!
Below is Trent Miles win/loss record in his third season at Georgia State:
2 – 25
Thus why Trent Miles is on the Hot Seat and if the folks at Georgia State make a coaching change later this year and they need a dozen names of very Damn successful football coaches that would LOVE to have a shot at the Georgia State job just email us at email@example.com for that list!
Up next for Georgia State….Liberty!
Hell, even Liberty could be another loss for Trent Miles! Ooops…should have written “Heck, even Liberty could be another loss for Trent Miles” in order to not offend the good folks at Liberty!
15. Norm Chow, Hawaii – Believe it or not the last Hawaii head coach Greg McMackin never won fewer than 6 games playing the Warriors 13 game regular season schedules and it really was only in the 2007 – 2008 season that June Jones had Hawaii playing in the Sugar Bowl against Hawaii but now…
Likable Norm Chow is now in his FOURTH season at Hawaii and has posted an overall record of…
10 – 31
….not even sniffing a postseason bowl game and thus you now understand how far Hawaii football has fallen and in case you were wondering we don’t see it getting any better anytime soon.
With the loss to Wisconsin the Warriors are now at 2 – 2 on the season and play at Boise State on Saturday which means Hawaii is about to be 2 – 3 on the season!
16. Ron Turner, Florida International – Ron Turner is in his third season as the head football coach at Florida International and has posted records of…
Overall: 7 – 21
CUSA: 4 – 13
…and if anyone sees things getting better for FIU football in the near future please stand-up so we can…
See You and Identify You as a Complete Moron!
Up next for FIU….
…which we have to think will be 2 – 3 for FIU in 2015!
17. Todd Monken, Southern Miss – Todd Monken’s Southern Miss football team played a decent game against Nebraska on Saturday before losing by the score of 36 – 28 which leaves USM’s record at 2 – 2 on the season with these games left to be played:
Texas San Antonio
At La. Tech
We are going to go out on a limb here and predict that Southern Miss will win…
EIGHT Games in 2015
….which will be a nice turnaround for Todd Monken’s and get his ugly mug off the frontpage of Coaches Hot Seat!
18. Craig Bohl, Wyoming – The Magical Mystery Tour of Craig Bohl at Wyoming continues with the Cowboys losing to New Mexico on Saturday which dropped Wyoming’s record in 2015 to 0 – 4 and makes us think that…
If you can’t beat New Mexico at home
…how in the Hell are you even going to win ONE game in 2015 with these games remaining to be played?
At Appalachian State
At Air Force
At Boise State
At Utah State
At San Diego State
Well Hell…Wyoming might and we say might beat UNLV in that last game of the season but the reality is the Cowboys in Craig Bohl’s second season are looking at…
One…Maybe Two Wins
….which makes us wonder again:
What in the Hell were you thinking Craig Bohl taking the Wyoming job?
19. Derek Mason, Vanderbilt – Vanderbilt could have easily beaten Ole Miss in Oxford on Saturday and even with the Rebels coming off their big win over Alabama and probably suffering a letdown we were very impressed with how the gutsy Commodores played and as they say in the South….
There is life in the old dog yet that is Vanderbilt football!
Here’s the problem…Vandy is now at 1 – 3 on the season and they have these games remaining on their schedule:
At Middle Tennessee
At South Carolina
Hell…that is a tough schedule for Vandy…BUT…if Vandy plays like they did against Ole Miss against Middle Tennessee, South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee they will win at least…
3 or 4 more games
….and 3 or 4 more wins in 2015 and Derek Mason has something to build on for 2016 BUT Derek Mason…
Vanderbilt MUST BEAT Middle Tennessee on Saturday….PERIOD!
20. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina – South Carolina beating UCF on Saturday was like….South Carolina beating Furman since Furman has already beaten UCF in 2015 and as everyone in the great state of South Carolina knows…
South Carolina beating Furman is No Damn Big Whoop!
Now at 2 – 2 on the season and with some life in the South Carolina offense now Steve Spurrier takes his football team to Columbia, Missouri to play what looks like a…
Falling to pieces Mizzou football team
….which it seems will be Damn lucky to win SIX football games in 2015 and with that reality there is no Damn reason why South Carolina doesn’t beat Missouri on Saturday especially if they score 21 points because this woeful Mizzou offense will be lucky to get 10 points on the board even against the weak Gamecocks defense!
Of course now…should South Carolina lose to this very Damn average Missouri team….
Someone in Columbia, South Carolina should get the gold watch ready for Steve Spurrier because he will be needing it come December as he walks out the door!
Good Luck against Missouri Ole’ Ball Coach!
21. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech – Let’s take a quick look at the win/loss records that Frank Beamer has posted the last four seasons at Virginia Tech:
2012: 7 – 6
2013: 8 – 5
2014: 7 – 6
2015: 2 – 1
Overall: 24 – 18 (.571)
Very simply…that is MEDIOCRE football that Frank Beamer’s Hokies have been playing last few seasons and if MEDIOCRE is OK for the folks in Blacksburg then that is OK with us but then now….
That is where the 1 st Amendment to the US Constitution comes in
…and we here at Coaches Hot Seat see no Damn reason why Virginia Tech fans should accept MEDIOCRITY in their football program but then maybe that is just us!
Now at 2 – 2 on the season after the loss to East Carolina on Saturday the Hokies have left to play on their schedule these games:
At Boston College
At Georgia Tech
How many games might Virginia Tech win in 2015 realizing they are basically about even with East Carolina?
Hell….we are having a hard time seeing Virginia Tech winning 6 games in 2015 but then we have been wrong many times before so it will be up to Frank Beamer and his football team to get Frank Beamer’s future College Football Hall of Fame ass off the Hot Seat!
Coach ‘em up Coach Beamer!
22. Al Golden, Miami – There is full agreement here at Coaches Hot Seat that if we were a head coach on the FBS football level we sure the Hell would want to be at a place where the…
Expectations for Winning Football Games and Championships was HIGH
….and Miami is that kind of place and thus that is why Al Golden in his FIFTH season coaching the Hurricanes is squarely on the Hot Seat with the following records up on the board:
Overall: 31 – 22
ACC: 16 – 16
Hell….with the above records at Miami Al Golden is lucky his ass hasn’t already been run out of South Florida and barring “9 maybe 10 wins” in 2015 Al Golden’s ass will be run out of South Florida and that will mean the somewhat ill-conceived Straight-Arrow Al Golden being hired at Miami will have failed as we assumed it would from Day One!
Still though…Miami is 3 – 0 on the season and they have a Thursday night game against Cincinnati which his HUGE because a loss in this spot by Miami to a team that just lost to Memphis will be another body blow to Al Golden just as the Hurricanes enter ACC play on October 10 at Florida State.
Before the Seminoles though the Hurricanes MUST BEAT the Bearcats!
23. Curtis Johnson, Tulane – Tulane had a bye in Week 4 and if EVER Curtis Johnson is going to get Green Wave football rolling it will be in Week 5 with the Hapless UCF Knights coming to town who have already lost to…
FIU and Freaking Furman!
Curtis Johnson in his FOURTH season at Tulane with ONE winning season on the board really needs to post a .500-plus record in 2015 and now at 1 – 2 a win over UCF would be a good start with then these games remaining to be played:
Hell, Curtis Johnson you better Damn beat UCF because we don’t see an easy game left on the Tulane schedule after the Knights!
24. Mike Riley, Nebraska – The general consensus here at Coaches Hot Seat is that Mike Riley is not even going to match Bo Pelini’s somewhat average records at Nebraska over seven seasons which were….
Overall: 66 – 27
Conference: 39 – 17
…which included at least NINE wins in every season which again is a record that we don’t think Mike Riley will match at Nebraska and here’s to hoping that Mike Riley does exceed Bo Pelini’s mark and get his ass of the Hot Seat!
Now at 2 – 2 on the season after the win over Southern Miss the Huskers have left to play….
….with this Saturday’s game at Illinois which has a head coach in his first year in that position with the Illini in Bill Cubit and a program coming out of a total chaotic situation is a MUST WIN game with Wisconsin, Minnesota and Northwestern on deck.
This is going to be Damn fascinating to see what Mike Riley is able to do at Nebraska in the next few years starting with this game at Illinois on Saturday.
Good Luck Mike!
25. Paul Haynes, Kent State – Kent State has been playing some good football the last two weeks with close losses to Minnesota and Marshall and now we are going to see if head coach Paul Haynes can keep things rolling as the Golden Flashes enter MAC Conference play on Saturday against a struggling Miami (OH) team which is very simply a MUST WIN Game for Paul Haynes and his football team with a game at Toledo in Week 6.
Below is why Paul Haynes is now on the Hot Seat…his records…
Overall: 7 – 20
MAC: 4 – 11
…and the only way to get off the Hot Seat is…
Start Winning Some Football Games!
26. Bobby Petrino, Louisville – Louisville beating FCS Cupcake Samford on Saturday doesn’t mean very much to anyone with the Cardinals now sitting on a record of 1 – 3 with a HUGE game on the road against NC State on Saturday which will play a big role in determining if Louisville is even able to get to a bowl game this season. With a loss to NC State with these games still be played…
At Florida State
At Wake Forest
….it would put Bobby Petrino and Louisville in a Helluva spot and headed towards a season-ending showdown in Lexington which has all the marks of Kentucky destroying Louisville and leaving the Cardinals at home during bowl season.
YES….NC State is a MUST WIN Game for Bobby Petrino and Louisville!
27. Ron Caragher, San Jose State – A little known fact about San Jose State football is that Jack Elway father of John Elway was the head coach of the Spartans for FIVE seasons in the early 1980s before taking over the Stanford head coaching job between 1984 and 1988….
…and another interesting factoid about Jack Elway was his offensive coordinator at San Jose State who was none other than Dennis Erickson who was running the spread offense long before most people in the world of football knew what the “spread offense” was all about. Below is a section from Jack Elway’s Wikipedia page:
“After three seasons at Northridge, Jack Elway moved up the California coast (and up to Division I) to San Jose State following the 1978 season, where his first offensive coordinator was Dennis Erickson. They employed the spread offense, which Elway had picked up from his son’s high school coach, and then used at Northridge. San Jose State had considerable success, especially against Stanford, where son John was the starting quarterback through the 1982 season. Jack Elway’s Spartans won three consecutive games over Stanford from 1981 to 1983, and he compiled an overall record of 35–20–1 (.634) in five seasons.”
In our opinion it was Dennis Erickson who building upon what he did at San Jose State ran the first true “spread offense” on the FBS level first at San Jose State and then at Washington State and then later at Miami which you can see some of in the below highlights video from the 1994 FSU – Miami game which has a very young Chris Fowler introducing the game at the top!
Getting back to Ron Caragher and San Jose State we here at Coaches Hot Seat have some personal connections to the SJSU football program and thus we expect a Helluva lot more than the records that Caragher had put up to this point in Ron’s third season on the job…
Overall: 11 – 17
MWC: 8 – 10
…and thus we fully expect San Jose State to roll into Auburn on Saturday and whip this struggling Auburn Tigers team….well….not really…..but then we would not be surprised if San Jose State beat Auburn on Saturday which in effect would end Gus Malzahn’s coaching career at Auburn so we would recommend that Gus Malzahn have his Auburn football team ready to play in the….
FIFTH Game of the Freaking Season!
Our expectations for San Jose State and head coach Ron Caragher in 2015 are…
6 Wins Minimum
….so coach your football team up Ron or expect to be on the Hot Seat for the duration!
28. Dan McCarney, North Texas – Dan McCarney got off to a great start at North Texas winning NINE games in year one including the Heart of Dallas bowl but in the last two seasons McCarney has posted records of…
2014: 4 – 8
2015: 0 – 3
…which equals 4 – 11 and thus why Dan McCarney is now on the Hot Seat!
Can Dan McCarney get his Mean Green off the mat and get a win at Southern Miss on Saturday?
We sure the Hell hope so which means…
Get Your Damn North Texas team coached up Dan!
29. Chuck Martin, Miami (OH) – Chuck Martin won a Helluva lot of football games and championships at Grand Valley State….
Overall Record: 74 – 7
Two NCAA Division II National Championships
….before joining the Notre Dame staff for four seasons and then taking the Miami (OH) job in 2014 where Martin has posted records of…
Overall: 3 – 13
MAC: 2 – 6
Sorry Chuck Martin….those records don’t feed the Bulldog or the Chihuahua and Martin better Damn start winning some football games or his ass is also going to be on the Hot Seat for the duration and a good place to start would be a win at Kent State on Saturday!
30. Todd Berry, La. Monroe – Todd Berry did a decent job in his first FOUR seasons at La. Monroe but in the last two seasons the Warhawks have stumbled and posted records of…
2014: 4 – 8
2015: 1 – 2
….and thus that is why Todd Berry now finds his ass on the Hot Seat with these games still left to be played in 2015:
At La. Lafayette
At Texas State
New Mexico State
Damn….La. Monroe has….
SIX Away Games left on their schedule
….and if Todd Berry is able to get to 7 wins playing 13 games in 2015 that will be a Helluva accomplishment after starting 1 – 2!