Jim Mora Fired At UCLA – Post Week 12 Coaches Hot Seat Rankings – Give These Hot Seat Coaches Hell Johnny Cash! – Thank You Mr. Cash!
Jim Mora Fired At UCLA
Over the past few years during the Jim Mora-era as the head coach of the football program a couple of Coaches Hot Seat members have had the opportunity to be in the UCLA Athletics Complex a few times and every time we left the place we got the feeling that working for Jim Mora…
Wasn’t the most enjoyable thing in the world
…and that Mora’s management style probably hurt Mora as much as anything at UCLA…in our humble opinion.
Overall, Jim Mora did a credible job as the head coach at UCLA in 6 seasons on the job posting records of…
Overall: 46 – 30
Pac-12: 28 – 26
Record Against USC: 3 – 3
….but in the end the general downtrend of the Bruins in the last couple of years led to Mora’s firing along with little hope for a move back up for UCLA Football under Mora in 2018 and future years.
We haven’t a clue if UCLA will be able to hire Chip Kelly to coach the Bruins, but it would be fascinating as Hell to see Kelly’s offense with the kind of talent that even average recruiting can get to Westwood, and if Kelly does end up at UCLA it will also be fascinating as Hell to see if college defensive coordinators have figured out what Kelly is doing which Stanford showed on multiple occasions can be stopped with the right approach and schemes on both sides of the ball.
Post Week 12 Coaches Hot Seat Rankings – Give These Hot Seat Coaches Hell Johnny Cash!
Thank You Mr. Cash!
1. Mike Riley, Nebraska – With one game at home against Iowa in the strange odyssey of Mike Riley at Nebraska left after almost three full seasons on the job Riley’s records now stand at….
Overall: 19 – 18
Big Ten: 12 – 13
…which works out to winning percentages of…
Big Ten: .480
….and Riley’s winning percentages in 14 seasons coaching at Oregon State were…
….which are numbers surprising to no one it must be….except now former Nebraska AD Shawn Eichorst…who if EVER allowed to hire a head football coach on ANY level of football in America again will mean that a Seriously Mentally Ill person has hired a Damn Moron to hire that head football coach!
No…Nebraska is no longer the Nebraska of the 1990s under Tom Osborne BUT Nebraska is a school where we fully expect the head coach playing 13 to 14 games a year to win…
9.5+ Games A Season
….and if the Huskers beat Iowa on Saturday Riley will have averaged winning…
6.67 Games A Season
….and considering that the last coach at Nebraska (Bo Pelini) averaged winning…
9.42 Games A Season
….meaning Riley took over a Pretty Damn Good Football Program at Nebraska there is the clear reason why Mike Riley is less than a week away from being fired as the head coach of the Huskers.
2. Bret Bielema, Arkansas – With reports on Sunday that Arkansas is going to move on without Bret Bielema as the head coach of the Razorbacks in 2018 it is easy to see why that decision was made and it is very simply Bielema’s records at Arkansas:
Overall: 29 – 33
SEC: 11 – 28
….which even if the Hogs beat Mizzou at home next Saturday…not likely…Bielema would have averaged winning…
6 Games Per Season
…and Bobby Petrino in 4 seasons coaching at Arkansas averaged winning…
8.5 Games Per Season
…which happens to be how many games a head coach at Arkansas should win…
8.5 Games Per Season
It’s our opinion that Bret Bielema made a lot of mistakes at Arkansas that were mostly made behind the scenes having to do with recruiting, roster management, personnel decisions, coaching hires, etc. that we could elaborate on in this spot but they are mainly decisions that were made because Bielema fundamentally misunderstood what the SEC Conference is actually all about and it’s NOT…
….but rather recruiting…
High-Level Skill Athletes
…which Bielema was NEVER able to recruit to Arkansas in any kind of numbers and that showed up on the field in SPADES which led to Bielema averaging…
6 Wins A Season
…if the Hogs beat Mizzou on Saturday and if they don’t Bielema will have won an average of….
5.8 Games A Season
….which is very simply a Total Damn Disaster at Arkansas!
3. David Beaty, Kansas – On Saturday Oklahoma blasted Kansas by the score of 41 – 3 in Kansas head coach David Beaty’s 35 th game at KU which now leaves Beaty’s records at Kansas…
Overall: 3 – 32
Big 12: 1 – 25
…with a game at Oklahoma State left on the schedule and anyone on Earth that thinks Kansas Football will be better in Beaty’s FOURTH year on the job in 2018 that is a person that needs to…
Check Into The Closest Mental Institution
….wherever they are on the Earth!
This past week an assistant coach in the Big 12 texted a member of Coaches Hot Seat the following:
“Everyone Big 12 hoping KU keeps DB least 1 more year because it’s only sure win on sked right now if Rhule gets things going at Baylor”
Yes…there are some Damn Morons in Lawrence, Kansas that should be fired tonight!
4. Lovie Smith, Illinois – On Saturday Ohio State beat Illinois by the score of 52 – 14 in Lovie Smith’s 23 rd game as the head coach of the Illini which leaves Lovie’s records in two seasons on the job at…
Overall: 5 – 18
Big Ten: 2 – 15
…and we ask again:
Is there someone…anyone…that can tell us why Lovie Smith is the head coach of the Illinois Football team?
4. Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech – With Texas Tech’s loss to TCU at home on Saturday that leaves only Texas on the schedule for the 5 – 6 Red Raiders and Kingsbury’s records in FIVE seasons at the school….
Overall: 29 – 32
Big 12: 15 – 30
….and save Tech beating Texas on the road in Austin next Saturday we would guess that TCU assistant coach Sonny Dykes will be the head coach of the Red Raiders sometime in early December…not that we know anything…but just a guess!
6. David Bailiff, Rice – On Saturday Rice lost to Old Dominion which dropped the Owls record to 1 – 10 in 2017 and head coach David Bailiff’s records in 11 seasons at Rice to…
Overall: 57 – 79
CUSA: 40 – 47
…and we fully expect the Rice head coaching job to come open soon which in our opinion is a pretty Damn good job that we would want because we know that…
1. Houston is a great town
2. There’s plenty of high school football talent in south Texas
3. We could prove our chops making Rice Football into a winner
7. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M – Even with the win over Ole Miss on Saturday it’s our opinion that Texas A&M is going to change head coaches in a week or so because of the following…
If A&M loses on the road to LSU next Saturday that will mean that Kevin Sumlin will have lost 5 games in each of the past 4 seasons at Texas A&M which is a place where a coach has EVERYTHING and should be able by his SIXTH season on the job compete with Alabama for the SEC West Division Title and come on now….
The Aggies are not in the same Universe with Alabama after SIX seasons of Kevin Sumlin coaching A&M!
What will be Damn interesting is who Texas A&M will hire to follow Sumlin who in our opinion if he is to be considered successful will win an average of…
9.5 Games A Year
…with Sumlin averaging 8.5 Wins which let’s face it folks…
That’s Just Not Good Enough for Texas A&M….PERIOD!
8. Luke Fickell, Cincinnati – We are not quite sure what the folks at Cincinnati saw in Luke Fickell who as the Interim Head Coach at Ohio State in 2011 posted a record of…
6 – 7
…with a team that had enough talent to win the Big Ten and National Title but we said last year if the folks at Cincinnati think Luke Fickell is the man to lead their program….OK…let’s see what the boy can do.
OK…Luke Fickell in his first year on the job coaching the Bearcats and is now sitting on a record of 3 – 8 after his team got BLASTED by a 2 win East Carolina team on Saturday by the score of…
48 – 20
….and on top of what has turned into nothing short of a Complete Freaking Disaster for Cincinnati Football we learned via USA Today a few weeks ago that Fickell has a….wait for it….
….for doing what exactly before he became the head coach at Cincinnati last year we haven’t a Damn Clue but then we all know that any random coaches agent can roll most any Damn athletic director in America now and clearly the Cincinnati AD got his ass rolled by Fickell’s!
Cincinnati hosts a 3 wins UConn team next Saturday and in our opinion if Fickell can’t win this game…
His Ass Should Be Fired on Saturday Night
….$9.1 Million Dollar Buyout or not because there would be no Damn point to keep him employed as the head coach of the Bearcats if he can’t beat this PITIFUL UConn team at home…in our humble opinion!
9. Kalani Sitake, BYU – For the love of Brigham Young…meaning the original Brigham Young who reportedly had 55 wives which is a stunning number in every way we can imagine because just how in the Hell can one man handle 55 women telling him on constant basis “they need this” or “they need that” which our wives are constantly telling us which must have led to some Helluva BIG shopping trips for Ole Brig as we like to call him here at Coaches Hot Seat when around our Mormon friends just to dig them a little!
Oh..getting back to the for the love of Brigham Young how in the Hell exactly can BYU lose to UMass at home by the score of…
16 – 10
…in head coach Kalani Sitake’s 25 th game at the school?
That loss to UMass now leaves Sitake’s record at BYU in 2 seasons at…
Overall: 12 – 13
…and the 3 – 9 Cougars still have to play at Hawaii next Saturday!
We are not sure exactly what is going on at BYU but whatever the Hell it is…it’s not good…it’s just no Damn good….we sure the Hell know that!
10. Todd Graham, Arizona State – With the win on Saturday over Oregon State Todd Graham’s Sun Devils are now 6 – 5 on the season with only the Territorial Cup game at home against Arizona left on the schedule that we were told on Sunday…
Todd Graham MUST WIN to keep his job at Arizona State
In 6 seasons at Arizona State Todd Graham now how records on the board of…
Overall: 45 – 31
Pac-12: 30 – 23
…which if you give ASU the win over Arizona adds up to Graham averaging…
7.67 Wins Per Season
…and we have Arizona State as a…
8.5 Wins Per Season
….school to keep your rear-end off the Hot Seat.
We guess there’s an outside chance that Todd Graham could keep his job at ASU even he lost to Arizona but something we learned a long time ago is that when things get marginal in a job a person in the position of hiring + firing someone will almost always fire someone…
They Don’t Like
…and work like Hell to…
Keep Someone They Do Like
…which in the end might just seal the fate for Todd Graham in Tempe!