2017 Post Week 4 Coaches Hot Seat Rankings – The Stanford QB Situation…Let K. J. Costello Be K. J. Costello and Don’t Turn Him Into A Clone! – Who Doesn’t Love the Great Johnny Cash?
Before we get to the Post Week 4 Coaches Hot Seat Ranking Analysis we first must throw out a few comments about the UCLA – Stanford game on Saturday night.
In our opinion if Stanford starting QB Keller Chryst does not get injured against UCLA on Saturday the Cardinal loses to a very Damn average Bruins team with Chryst being replaced by 3 rd string QB K. J. Costello who up to this point has not had enough reps in Stanford practices to have been turned into a Clone by the Cloner Stanford Football Coaches and now we are worried as Hell that the Cloners will turn their full attention to Costello in practice and turn Costello’s rear-end to a Clone as well! The reality is that two great Stanford QBs Andrew Luck and Kevin Hogan did in achieving great success did what K. J. Costello did so well against UCLA which was make plays moving around on the field and not standing like a stick-man in the backfield like Chryst tends to do, and if David Shaw and the Stanford coaches turn Costello into a stick-man then the Cardinal will have a Helluva time even winning 6 games in 2017 so let’s sure the Hell hope they don’t turn Costello into a…
….because Stanford now at 2 – 2 on the season still has a tough schedule to navigate against:
At Oregon State
At Washington State
Memo to David Shaw and Mike Bloomgren: Let E. J. Costello be E. J. Costello and stop the Damn Cloner Bullshit at the QB position Boys!
Week 4 was a good week for several head coaches on the Hot Seat but there were several coaches that put themselves into positions where they have very little margin for error in the rest of the 2017 season and with that mind let’s bring out the Great Johnny Cash to send a message to these Hot Seat coaches!
Thank You Johnny Cash!
1. Bret Bielema, Arkansas – It’s been a long time ago but a couple of Coaches Hot Seat members seem to remember a comment made by Bill Walsh when someone said that a…
“That coach has had bad luck because he is losing a lot of close games”
…to which Coach responded to by saying….
“Why in the Hell is that coach and team playing so many close games?”
The main problem with Bret Bielema at Arkansas is that in his 5 th year the school we don’t have a Damn clue what the Hogs offense is trying to do and the Hogs defense has changed so many times the past 5 seasons that it’s no surprise the players don’t play at any kind of consistent level especially at a level that a defense needs to play to compete and win in the SEC.
To give everyone some kind of perspective at how much Bret Bielema is underperforming at Arkansas look at former Hogs head coach Houston Nutt’s record at the school taking over an equal or worse disaster from Danny Ford (8 – 14 in his last two seasons at UA) than what Bielema inherited from Petrino/Smith:
Houston Nutt – 1998 – 2002
Overall: 39 – 23 (.629)
SEC: 22 – 18 (.550)
Bret Bielema – 2013 – 2017
Overall: 26 – 28 (.481)
SEC: 10 – 23 (.303)
If Bret Bielema and Arkansas won the remaining 9 games on their 2017 schedule to finish at 10 – 2 Bielema would still not even be at the level Houston Nutt posted after 5 seasons at the school and that should tell you all you need to know about how underachieving Bielema has been at Arkansas and with these games left to be played is there anyone that thinks the Hogs are winning out?
New Mexico State
At South Carolina
At Ole Miss
Our guess based on the way that Arkansas has played under Bret Bielema over the past 54 games the Hogs win….
4 maybe 5 more games
….which at best would give Arkansas a 6 – 6 record in Bielema’s 5 th season in Fayetteville and luckily for Bret he is at a place that…
Celebrates and Pays A Helluva Lot of Money for Average or Worse!
2. David Beaty, Kansas – David Beaty is in his 3 rd season as the head coach at Kansas and after the loss to West Virginia at home on Saturday he has posted records of….
Overall: 3 – 25
SEC: 1 – 18
…and if that is acceptable to the folks in the Great State of Kansas then…
Bless Their Hearts!
Kansas has games left to be played against…
At Iowa State
At Oklahoma State
….and if the Jayhawks win another game in 2017 we will be SHOCKED not that we would be SHOCKED that the folks at Kansas will continue to…
Celebrate Way Damn Below Average
…because after all we are talking about the…
University of Kansas
…which is where…
Average or Worse Meets the Great American Plains!
3. Mark Whipple, UMass – Mark Whipple and UMass played a solid game against a barely Damn awake Tennessee team in Knoxville on Saturday but another loss is another loss and in the last four seasons being back at the school Whipple has posted a record of…
8 – 33
….and the Minutemen still have to play this season these games:
At Mississippi State
UMass, even if they play like they did against the Vols, maybe have 1 or 2 wins on the board at the end of the season and if that is acceptable to the folks at UMass then why should we be mad at those folks for accepting…
Very Damn and even Below Average?
3. Barry Odom, Missouri – Right now former Mizzou football player and grad Barry Odom is trending as the head coach at Mizzou into very dangerous territory with what looks like to us a football team coming apart at the seams at the exact moment with 16 games under Odom’s belt when the Tigers should be showing signs that Odom’s influence is starting to improve a team that went…
5 – 7
…in Gary Pinkel’s last year at the school in 2015.
Consider the below NCAA rankings among 129 teams for a moment when you also consider that Barry Odom was the defensive coordinator at Missouri and Memphis before taking over the head coaching job at Mizzou:
Total Defense: 107
Rushing Defense: 101
Scoring Defense: 122
Oh…Mizzou is averaging giving up….
40 points per game!
Hmmm…what exactly is going on at Mizzou right now is a Helluva question that we cannot answer since we don’t know any folks really close to the program but from the outside looking in watching the Tigers it’s our opinion…
Barry Odom is not getting anywhere near 100% from his players
…and maybe Odom realizes that and that is why he had that meltdown after getting his team’s ass whipped by Auburn on Saturday and if you are getting less than 100% effort from your players and still have to play the below games you are in a Helluva bad spot!
What…Mizzou will win probably 3 games in Barry Odom’s second year at the school?
Not good…no make that a…Total Damn Disaster for Mizzou Football!
5. Jim Mora, UCLA – Several of us at Coaches Hot Seat got to see Jim Mora’s UCLA Bruins up close the other night at the Stanford game and in our opinion it’s pretty easy to see why the Bruins are….
8 – 13
…in their last 21 games under Mora and that is because in our humble opinion…
UCLA is a poorly coached football team that is getting about 60% out of the talent on its roster
Why is that exactly?
We haven’t a Damn clue but from watching the UCLA sideline in the Stanford game we got a whiff of….
“Whatever the Hell happens it doesn’t really matter!”
….and now at 2 – 2 on the season which includes a win over Texas A&M in a game that the Bruins had no business winning UCLA still has left to play:
Our opinion…if UCLA plays like it did against Stanford in their remaining 8 games they will be Damn Lucky to win 4 games in 2017!
6. Butch Jones, Tennessee – We are not quite sure what is going on at Tennessee because watching the UMass – Vols game it looked like the Tennessee players were playing hard against a severely overmatched UMass team which makes us wonder if we have reached the point where Butch Jones coaching is actually taking away from the Vols chance of success instead of adding to it and that goes right to the heart of successful coaching because EVERY coach should add to his players ability to win not taking away from it and the rest of 2017 will show if our opinion is right or not with these games still left on the board for the 3 – 1 Vols:
Tennessee has plenty of talent to win 9 or 10 games in 2017 with FIVE remaining games at home and road games at Kentucky and at Missouri where the Vols will have a major advantage in talent but how many games will Tennessee win in 2017?
Our guess if they continue to play the way they have so far in 2017:
If Tennessee only wins 7 games in 2017 the Vols will be looking for a new head football coach come December.
7. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M – With Kevin Sumlin needing 10+ wins in 2017 to return to coach the Aggies in 2018 he can only wish that he and his coaching staff didn’t totally mismanage the second half of the UCLA games because the Aggies would now be at…
4 – 0
…instead of 3 – 1 but with 3 wins on the board Sumlin still has a chance to get to 10 wins IF the Aggies win 7 of their last 8 games against:
At Ole Miss
Good Luck with that Kevin Sumlin!
8. Todd Graham, Arizona State – Maybe Todd Graham has figured out with an Arizona State defense that cannot stop ANYONE that the only way the Aztecs are going to win ANY football games is to score a Helluva lot of points and that is what ASU did against Oregon on Saturday scoring…
…and if Todd Graham is going to save his job he should tell his coaching staff our goal for each game left on the 2017 schedule is to score…
40+ points in EVERY game
…and with Graham needing 7 or 8 wins at least to return to coach the Aztecs in 2018 Arizona State has a chance to move to 3 – 2 with a win over Stanford on Saturday IF they can score 40+ points on The Farm!
How many of the below remaining games can Arizona State reasonably win?
At Oregon State
If they score 40+ points in all of the above games they can win 5+ games but if they score 30 or less points in each game….maybe 2 or 3 games…so there you go Todd Graham!
9. Mike Riley, Nebraska – The word from our good and long-time Nebraska-alum friends in Omaha is that anything less than 10+ wins by Mike Riley in 2017 and the Huskers will be looking for a new head football coach in a couple of months and we have been told that potential coaches for Nebraska are already being vetted because the folks at the University of Nebraska know if they do have to make a coaching change this year they…
MUST find the right coach
…because another mediocre to bad hire which can be argued the Huskers have done every time save Frank Solich in the post-Tom Osborne years is what makes next hire at Nebraska so Damn critical!
Now at 2 – 2 on the season with these games left to be played for Mike Riley and Nebraska let’s see if the Huskers can get to 10 wins in 2017:
At Penn State
We don’t see the Huskers winning out and you know what the Hell that means!
10. Steve Addazio, Boston College – After the loss to Clemson on Saturday the win/loss numbers in Steve Addazio’s FIVE seasons at Boston College aren’t pretty…
Overall: 25 – 30
ACC: 10 – 23
….and one would think that anything less than 6 wins in 2017 and the Addazio-era will mercifully be brought to an end at BC.
Can Boston College win 5 of their last 8 games in 2017 with the below games remaining?
Not a Chance in Hell or Boston!