Coaches Hot Seat Quotes of the Day – Thursday, September 13, 2012 – General Robert Neyland
“General Neyland’s 7 Maxims
1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way – SCORE.
3. If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don’t let up… put on more steam.
4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.
5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle… for this is the WINNING EDGE.
6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.
7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.”
“You never know what a football player is made of until he plays Alabama”
“The team that makes the fewest mistakes wins”
“To defeat a weak opponent is not the problem: The problem is to win when he is as good or better than you”
“Gentlemen, touchdowns follow blocking as sure night follows day”
“If my teams win, my press will be good. If we lose, the press can’t help me anyhow.”
“People think I’m the greatest damn coach in the world,” said the great Bear Bryant, “but Neyland taught me everything I know.”
Wikipedia Page: General Robert Neyland